Owning your social interactions
I'm Amy Guy, a PhD student at the University of Edinburgh (supervised by Professor Ewan Klein).
I'm studying how people present themselves and engage in social interactions on the Web. You're probably here because I, or someone you know, suggested you'd be a good candidate for my next study! I'm interviewing people who build social software for their own personal use, for example their own personal websites, and use this as focal points for their online identity (or identities), to express themselves, and to communicate with others. This is not an interview about technologies (although we may touch on that if you're interested in talking about it), but the real focus is on your day-to-day use of and feelings about online social systems, both those you've made yourself and third-party services.
If you'd like to take part, please read the following information, and fill in the form below.
- Interviews will take about (but no more than) one hour, and will involve talking, and clicking around your own personal site and social networking . You will get (by the end of July) a $15 voucher of your choice for taking part.
- Audio will be recorded during the interview.
- You may be asked to take screenshots of your personal site and social networking profiles as we talk about them. You have the right to refuse to take any screenshot on an individual basis without affecting the subsequent discussion.
- You have the right to stop the interview entirely or withdraw from the research at any time.
- You can request the transcript of your interview and copies of all screenshots taken.
- The transcript of the interview will be analysed by me (Amy Guy).
- Access to the transcript of the interview will be limited to me (Amy Guy) and may be granted to academic colleagues with whom I will collaborate with as part of the research process; you can indicate below if you would like to grant your express permission whenever someone else is granted access.
- All or part of the content in your interview may be used in academic papers, my PhD thesis, and related blog posts, with the following conditions:
- You will be asked after the interview if you would like me to pseudonymise you with regards to summary interview content and direct quotes.
- You will be asked after the interview which (if any) screenshots you wish to explicitly exclude from direct reproduction in a publication, which can be reproduced following removal of identifying names/images, and which can be reproduced without alteration.
- Interview recordings and transcripts will be held according to the University of Edinburgh data protection policy.
- This research is carried out in accordance with the University of Edinburgh Research ethics and integrity code.
If you have any questions about the process, your eligability to take part, or this consent form, feel free to get in touch with me before you sign up.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IRC: rhiaro on Freenode
- Webmention: rhiaro.co.uk
- Twitter: @rhiaro
- Telegram: rhiaro
- Google Hangouts: email@example.com